1. Tell us a little bit about yourself? Where are you from? Where did you go to school? How long have they lived on the island?
I was born and raised in Saskatchewan (Go Riders!) I attained my Bachelor of Science in Nursing at the University of Alberta in 1995 and then moved to beautiful BC. I worked at BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver for 12 years and completed a Master of Science in Nursing through UBC in 2004. In 2007 I relocated to Nanaimo to be closer to my family.
2. What is your current position with the Vancouver Island Health Authority?
I am currently the Manager of Acute Pediatric and Perinatal Services at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. I have also worked as a Pediatric Clinical Coordinator and before that, as the Regional Pediatric Nurse Educator.
3. How has the Nanaimo & District Hospital Foundation impacted your position? (Equipment bought, events, etc.)
The Foundation has been incredibly supportive to the Child Youth and Family Health programs I have involved with; there are almost too many impacts to list! The Foundation has funded course tuition allowing nurses to attain the specialty knowledge and skill required to work in areas such as Maternity and Pediatrics. The Foundation has graciously paid for renovations to create a safe and child friendly space for the Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect program. The Foundation has purchased many pieces of critical equipment such as Pediatric Resuscitation carts and car seats for tiny infants.
4. How would use describe the Nanaimo & District Hospital Foundation in 3 words?
Generous, Mighty & Local
5. What has been your proudest moment at work?
It is impossible to pick one proudest moment! I know it probably sounds corny but when I see a team of individual professionals come together and capably, competently and caringly support a patient and family during a health care encounter, it is a thing of beauty. We care for some of the most vulnerable populations in Island Health whether our client is a youth struggling with a mental health concern, a worried Dad with an ill toddler or new parents experiencing the birth of their first baby. I am privileged to work with some of the best people in VIHA!